10 signs your company is going under
Here are some sure-fire warning signs that the business is about to fold. Watch for these and brace yourself, to avoid being left high, dry and one paycheque short!
- Grim-faced managers dash from one frantic closed-door meeting to the next.
- Suppliers change constantly, for increasingly vague reasons.
- Cleaning staff come in less often, or are cut altogether.
- Your boss mysteriously disappears for hours at a time, wearing suits for a change.
- The supply cupboard contains some chewed-up old pens and little else.
- Your boss’s mood swings between teary-eyed sentimentality and frightening good cheer.
- Office equipment is not repaired, or starts disappearing.
- No new business cards are being ordered.
- The bean-counting gets absurd.
- You catch senior staff staring off into space more often than usual.
When you see two or more of these signs, it’s time to act.
Your managers are probably out looking for new jobs, while you’re left in the dark (sometimes literally).
Use that office equipment before it’s reclaimed by the rental guys. Update your resume, contact potential employers, start faxing out applications. Curb your own spending where you can, and have an exit strategy in place before the lights go out for good.
Related post: Lies Employers Tell